MS in Teacher Leadership
Created with working professionals in mind, the online master of science in teacher leadership program can help you grow as a teacher, and make positive change in the field of education. Aligned with the standards of the Educational Leadership Constituent Council, the objectives of this program are to create teacher leaders who can work collaboratively with others to improve both school programs and the student experience.
Gain a deeper understanding of current research on learning theory and human motivation, and learn how to use that knowledge to help students grow and thrive. Discover new strategies for shaping school culture in a way that fosters collaboration and improves the quality of education.
You can pursue one of four specialized tracks to more sharply focus your graduate work.
|Fall Application Deadline: August 14|
|Click here to apply now|
The core requirements of the master of science in teacher leadership program focus on leadership and how it relates to the transformation of school culture, instructional programs to improve student learning, school improvement, diversity and research-based literacy practices. The curriculum also allows you to select one of four specialized tracks
Upon completion of the Master of Science in Teacher Leadership, students will demonstrate the following competencies:
- Culture: Utilize group processes to promote a collaborative and inclusive culture, which supports diverse perspectives, educator development and student learning.
- Research: Access, utilize and share research on teacher effectiveness and leadership theory to improve teaching and learning practices.
- Reflection: Engage in and model individual and collective reflection to promote learning and leading communities in the classrooms and schools.
- Professional Learning: Design, implement and evaluate job-embedded professional learning for continuous improvement that is aligned with school and district improvement goals.
- Teaching and Learning: Harness the skills, expertise and knowledge of colleagues to address curricular expectations, instructional practices and student learning needs.
- Assessment and Data: Facilitate the collaborative collection, analysis and use of classroom and school-based data to improve curriculum, instruction, assessment and school culture.
- Outreach: Promote partnerships and proactive interactions with families, communities and other key stakeholders to improve education for all students.
- Advocacy: Collaborate with colleagues to select appropriate opportunities to advocate for the rights and needs of students, secure necessary resources that support student learning and communicate with targeted audiences.
- Leadership: Develop colleagues’ leadership capacity and create new opportunities for teacher leadership in classrooms, schools and districts.
Today's educators have access to an increasingly connected global community and an abundance of digital resources. In addition to connecting our candidates to those resources, Quinnipiac University's School of Education has a collaborative community of its own, both online and off. That community includes our outstanding faculty members – experienced educators, top practitioners and scholars–who guide and support students through our programs every step of the way.
This environment prepares candidates for fulfilling careers in education and human development by cultivating:
- An ability to engage in sound practice that is informed by educational theory
- A commitment to equity and social justice
- A deeply reflective and mindful approach to their work
By fostering personal as well as intellectual transformation, we aim to prepare innovators committed to positive social change, who will have a meaningful impact on the lives and futures of learners.
The online graduate education programs offered by Quinnipiac are recognized by U.S. News & World Report in their 2020 Best Online Graduate Education Programs rankings. The School of Education's online programs received the highest ranking among universities in Connecticut and are ranked #69 in the nation.
Rankings & Accreditations
Review the details of each program to find the best fit for your educational and career goals.
Discuss admission requirements with your admission counselor.
Submit your application online.